The first time Tony Sangrey stepped inside his current home, it was a Mennonite church called the Peace Chapel. He accompanied a friend to Sunday school there one week.
Now, he and Carolyn sleep where the choir loft used to be, and their bathroom is the old church office. A second bathroom with a large marble shower and a television used to be the women’s restroom.
They were particularly careful with the tall stained-glass windows that a congregation installed in 1923. Built in 1876, the building was the Nagle Street Church of God before becoming the Peace Chapel in the early 1980s.
To protect the windows, Sangrey designed an upstairs expansion that does not touch them. Instead, there’s a great room with the full length of its windows visible, plus a wrap-around second story that keeps the lower half of the windows visible downstairs and the upper half visible upstairs.
Read Full Article: Pennsylvania Home
Related Article: Play Lighthouse Keeper